UPDATE: Due to this entry having been posted on Reddit/Mensrights, I am shutting down the comments section. Also, hi MRAs! Go fuck yourselves!
I want to analyze this list of claims from MRAs, in order to debunk it and expose the further lies of the MRA bigots.
I have already examined some MRA “statistics” that were actually rubbish; see this entry for the points that appeared there. For the sake of space, I will not repeat the same objections here.
I added “secondary gains” as a response. Secondary gains, as defined by Patrick Colm Hogan in The Culture of Conformism (p50-51), are forms of gratification given to people who belongs to a subordinate group in order for them to accept their condition. Likewise, many things which MRAs claim are disadvantages to being a man are actually used by the Patriarchy as signals of male nature, and therefore of superiority (e.g. military service, not being charged with child care, and esthetic considerations such as short hair and long pants).
1. Women are treated better in all aspects of the legal system. For instance, women receive lighter sentences and a higher chance of acquittal, simply for being women.
Secondary gain. Studies prove that women are given lighter sentences because judges ignore rules of gender equality and personally take it unto themselves to “protect” women. Women are “protected” because they are seen as inferior to men.
2. Men are significantly more likely to be the victims of violent crime (of which rape is included) than women.
Irrelevant. See my previous entry, point 5.
3. Despite domestic violence being equally committed by women, for the most part only male perpetrators are arrested.
False. Again, see previous entry, points 10 and 11.
4. The feminist definition of domestic violence has skewed arrest and prosecution philosophies, resulting in having mostly male batterers criminally pursued, and female batterers left alone.
Too vague. How would you even prove such a statement? The US Code does not define domestic violence in a “feminist” way, whatever that’s supposed to mean:
“The term ‘domestic violence’ includes felony or misdemeanor crimes of violence committed by a current or former spouse of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabitating with or has cohabitated with the victim as a spouse, by a person similarly situated to a spouse of the victim under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction receiving grant monies, or by any other person against an adult or youth victim who is protected from that person’s acts under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction.”
5. It is legal to circumcise male babies against their will. In some places, laws have been passed which forbid any attempts to make male circumcision illegal. Meanwhile, female circumcision is completely illegal, even though some types of female circumcision are equivalent in harm to male circumcision, and other types (a symbolic prick to draw blood) are non-harmful.
Technically true. It is fucked up. However, female circumcision has only been illegal since 1997, and the medical establishment is trying to slowly bring it back.
6. Men comprise 95% of workplace deaths.
Slightly exaggerated, and misleading. See previous entry, point 4.
7. Men commit suicide at over triple the rate that women do.
Correct, but misleading. Suicide attempts are three times more common in women than in men. Men succeed more often because they use more violent means.
8. The vast majority of prisoners are men.
Irrelevant. This is the same general point as point 2. Men are prisoners because they use violence on other men.
9. Men are doing worse in all aspects of the educational system, from kindergarten to university.
Irrelevant. How is this an example of male oppression?
10. Men who are falsely accused of rape can have their names published and their lives ruined even if they are not convicted or charged – their accuser is protected and is likely to face no punishment, or a light one.
Irrelevant. The unjust rules against sexual offenders apply to men and women alike. This is not oppression against men.
11. Reproductive rights. Men have none. Simply read this story.
Ridiculous. Men have all their reproductive rights, but they do not have the right to dictate to women what their rights should be or should not be. This is a source of endless frustration for these MRA faggots.
12. Parental rights. Men have virtually none. See below.
A woman can name any man she likes as the father, he gets a letter in the mail, if he does not prove he isn’t the father within 30 days—(suppose the letter gets lost by the USPS?)—he is now the father and must pay. He cannot contest it.
A boy who is the victim of statutory rape must pay child support to his rapist.
A man who is raped while unconscious must likewise pay child support.
A man who fathers a child and wishes to take custody may have his child adopted out against his will and essentially kidnapped
Some are irrelevant, others I have no idea. I have no idea if all this nonsense is true or not. I could not find independent sources for most of these claims, and no evidence for it is presented. But child support is supposed to be for the child’s welfare, not the woman’s.
13. The majority of homeless are men.
True, in the United States. This is highly culture-dependent. In Australia, for example, women are the majority.
14. Despite men’s need being arguably greater than women, government spending to help women is 10 to 100 times greater than that to help men. That figure is unrelated to medical spending.
Absurd. Does anyone seriously believe this shit? This is almost as bad as the “reproductive rights” point. Most government spending helps men more than it helps women.
15. In 2009/2010 it was $1,516,460 toward men and $57,562,373 toward women. In 2010/2011 it was $3,740,800 toward men and $48,331,443 toward women. In 2008/2009 the province dedicated $561,360 toward men’s resources and $98,983,236 toward women’s resources. (figures are for British Columbia, Canada, but representative of Western society).
Same point as above.
16. Female-owned businesses get free government money for literally no reason other than being a woman (i.e. all other factors are equal, same size of business, same income, etc. etc. but the owner’s gender is different = money or no money.
I couldn’t find any evidence to confirm or debunk this point. No evidence was presented.
17. On some airlines, men were banned from sitting next to kids on airplanes, simply because they were men. Why? Because men are pedophiles, obviously. This ban remains on some airlines, such as Air New Zealand.
Irrelevant. This is male entitlement at work and actually has nothing to do with gender.
18. Under a recent federal directive, men are convicted of rape in university campuses if the investigating board finds that the chances they committed the rape are at 50.00001% or greater.
Irrelevant. Since this is the same rule we use in other justice systems, how does this reflect any offense against men?
19. The DOE policy in practice: Caleb Warner was accused of rape and expelled from the University of North Dakota, then his accuser was charged with filing a false report. He remains expelled as of June 2011.
Same point as above.
20. Selective service. Enough said.
Secondary gain. Women were “protected” from warfare because they are “the weaker sex.”
So here is the final count:
Correct but misleading: 1
Secondary gains: 2
Complete bullshit: 3
For a total of 18 ratings.
That makes a total of 17% of technically correct points, 61% of misleading points, and 22% of plainly false points. The previous entry had a truth record of 33%, and in both cases this is a terrible record. The list gives the appearance of a plethora of arguments for the oppression of men when there are actually very few such arguments here, let alone valid ones.
Again it is demonstrated that MRAs are all about lying their ass off to pursue their ideological agenda of woman-hating.