UPDATE: Also see Debunking MRAs’ debunking of the list on this entry.
I said I would not post any entries during the holidays, but this was too good to pass up. In response to my entry against “Men’s Rights Advocates,” some dickhead calling himself “Rajesh Kumar” tried to post a comment (which I flagged as spam, because that is what it is) giving a list of statistics as to why women actually have the power in our society. This list is popular in MRA circles. Almost none of the statistics have relevance to economic or social power. But still, I thought it might be worth debunking this shit for the sake of people searching for the truth.
Rubbish. Here are the facts:
A charming introduction from our dickhead. As we go on, remember that he called this list of nonsense “facts.”
1. SUICIDE: Men’s suicide rate is 4.6 times higher than that of women’s. [Dept. Health & Human Services — 26,710 males vs 5,700 females]
2. LIFE EXPECTANCY: Men’s life expectancy is seven (7) years shorter than women’s [National Center for Health Statistics — males 72.3 yrs vs females 79 yrs] yet receive only 35% of government expenditures for health care and medical costs.
Correct, but irrelevant. The actual differential is 5 years, not 7, but anyway, women have had higher life expectancy at least since the early 1900s, so how the fuck can feminism possibly be to blame??
3. WAR: Men are almost exclusively the only victims of war [Dept. Defense — Vietnam Casualties 47,369 men vs 74 women]
Made up. I hope I don’t have to point out how bizarre this “statistic” is. The rape and murder of Vietnamese women and children was a routine action by the US Army. Look up the My Lai massacre if you have to… but seriously, how can you be so ignorant about history?
4. WORKPLACE FATALITIES: Men account for more than 95% of all workplace fatalities.
Slightly exaggerated, and misleading. The correct percentage is 93%, not “more than 95%.” It is also misleading because it actually reflects sexism- the fact that men monopolize certain more dangerous professions such as aircraft pilots, flight engineers, and fishers.
5. MURDER: Men are murdered at a rate almost 5 times that of women. [Dept. Health & Human Services — 26,710 men vs 5,700 women]
Irrelevant and misleading. Men’s murder rate is that much higher because men are mostly killed by other men. Men are the ones committing the homicides, not women.
6. CHILD CUSTODY: Women receive physical custody of 92% of all children of separation, and men only 4%. [Department of Health & Human Services]
7. JURY BIAS: Women are acquitted of spousal murder at a rate 9 times that of men [Bureau Justice Statistics — 1.4% of men vs 12.9% of women]
8. COURT BIAS: Men are sentenced 2.8 times longer than women for spousal murder [Bureau Justice Statistics — men at 17 years vs women at 6 years]
True but misleading. Gee, that couldn’t be because one woman out of four is victim of domestic violence, isn’t it?
9. JUSTICE SYSTEM BIAS: Women are assessed for Child Support on average at half the rate of men, yet are twice as likely to default on Child Support payments. Ninety Seven (97%) of all child support prosecutions are against fathers. [Census Bureau]
Grossly false. Men and women pay child support at close to the same rate.
10. DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: Numerous credible studies from independent researchers report that women are the initiators of domestic violence in 58% of all cases, and cause physical abuse in almost 50% of all cases, yet women only account for 6% of all criminal proceedings in such matters.
Made up. I could find no trace of any such “studies,” and they provide no citation whatsoever. They pulled it out of their ass (well, to be fair, they are assholes, so where else would it come from?).
11. CHILD VIOLENCE: Mothers commit 55% of all child murders and biological fathers commit 6%. NIS-3 indicates that Mother-only households are 3 times more fatal to children than Father-only households. Despite these compelling figures, children are systematically removed from the natural fathers who are their most effective protectors.
Grossly false. 97% of those convicted of violent crimes against children are male.
12. WEALTH: Women hold 65% of the total wealth in the USA [Fortune Magazine]
Grossly false. The real percentage is 51%.
Out of 12 points,
4 were correct (albeit 3 of those were misleading).
1 was irrelevant and misleading.
1 was slightly incorrect (and misleading).
4 were grossly false.
2 were made up.
A score of 33% (or 50% if you’re feeling very generous, or 8% if you think a list of supposed facts should not mislead its readers) is not a good score for a list that pretends to be factual.
The rest of his comment went beyond statistics and into pure MRA insanity, so I see no need to refute it. It’s just woman-hating bullshit. Here it is, if you’re curious:
1. Men pay more taxes than women at the same income level. Tax provisions are not gender neutral.
2. Men are provided no protection against sexual harassment at workplace and against rape and seduction.
3. Men do not have the choice of vocation. He is expected to subordinate his preferences to the needs of others in the family. That is because he is always the provider to others at the cost of his own personality. He has to just slog. He lives and dies for others. He is forced to don the mantle of the breadwinner for the whole family (including the extended family upon marriage) or else face a social death.
4. Men are not allowed the luxury of being the master of their own destiny.
5. Men are not accepted by the society the way they are – just normal human beings. He is reduced to the role of a robot – the eternal protector and provider with no desires of his own!
6. Men are not provided with a free and un-choked communication channel – a channel that listens to them without invalidating their feelings or ignoring or trivializing their problems.
7. No schemes are being furthered either by the Government or eminent social celebrities for boys the way they are happening for girls.
This has led to more boys dropping out of school resulting in in crease of juvenile delinquency. Shunned by the society, such boys grow up with gross inadequacy and ultimately turn criminals.
8. There is no concept of MEN’s RIGHTS, only RESPONSIBILITIES and DUTIES enshrined for them!
9. 2007: 57593 married men committed suicide vis-à-vis 30064 married women in India.
10. If we look back, in the last 62 years of independent India not a single rupee has ever been allocated for men’s welfare from the Union Budget.
11. Not a single constitutional or quasi-constitutional body has ever been formed to identify redress problems peculiar to men.
12. There’s no a National Commission for Men nor Men’s Welfare Ministry.
13. The numerous Anti-male and gender biased laws which are not gender-neutral.
14. Anti-male slant and negative stereotyping indulged in by media, television and films against men.
15. Negligence of health issues of men like prostate cancer, short life expectancy, high suicide rates, cardiac problems, diabetes etc.
16. Not a Single Attempt has ever been made to Recognize that Men Too Have Problems
17. Not a Single scheme ever been envisaged for Men’s Welfare.
18. On the other hand men are always discriminated against in the guise of women empowerment.
19. Lack of government urge on the private sector to come up with Health Products specifically targeted to diseases affecting men in large numbers.
20. The World Economic Forum does not recognize men as human beings, because it doesn’t conduct a study and publish Gender Index of Men similar to that of women.
If you needed any more evidence that these faggots live in Never-Never Land…