Sister Y has sound reasoning on the suicide issue. In this entry, she discusses the reason why anti-suicide laws hurt society as a whole.
1. People who attempt suicide and fail are often imprisoned in a hospital as a result.
2. People who attempt suicide are forcibly “rescued” and brought back to life against their will, if possible – sometimes to a state of very low quality of life, such as akinetic mutism.
3. Those who express a desire to commit suicide are often imprisoned in a hospital as a result; this process is much more humiliating and degrading than outsiders might realize.
4. The drug prohibition (drug war) means that barbiturates are unavailable – barbiturates being the only means of suicide considered humane enough to be used in states that allow physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill people.
5. Helping another person to commit suicide is prosecuted as a crime in all but the most limited situations in the few states that allow physician-assisted suicide. Suicide is the only act that is not itself a crime, but which assisting another person to commit is a crime.